Sunday 14 February 2010

YOU JUST HAVE TO LOVE HER


Yes, i know you know. Its NNEKA. The golden girl. Well, as for moi, I'm talking about her music and what I think of if.


This song, when I first heard I was like "what is this?" then I changed the channel. It was Channel O. Honestly, I was like what's is this AFRO HAIRED CHICK wants to say that Bob Marley hasn't already said. Until ONE DAY, I was in the kitchen washing the dishes then I heard this song and I was CURIOUS then I proceeded to the sitting room. LOW and BEHOLD it was the AFRO HAIRED CHICK and I was surprised. It was also the very SONG I was like WHAT THE HELL to.

Vocally, I won't lie that she is strong. She's just on a scale of one to ten I'd give her a FIVE POINT SIX. It seems to be too subtle. I'm kind of like a sucker for power houses (Celine Dion, Onyeka Owenu, Peabo Bryson and how can I forget Miss. Whitney) but on the terms of creativity, lyrics, composition and style(which i deem UNIQUE) I'd say she's got something. Most people especially Nigerians would say WHAT IS THIS GIRL SINGING? and others might do what I initially did but if you listen very well and pay attention you'd get the message.

To me, I think she doesn't really care about what we say about her voice or her dress sense or her style of singing. I don't think she really wants to know our opinion on those things because to be honest those THINGS BELONG TO HER AND HER ALONE. But she does care about the message she is sending through her song, the way she is sending it and WHAT HER SONG MEANS TO US.

She is one of the rarest musicians Nigerians have. She damn well knows what she is doing. She, to me represents the alternative culture in Nigeria. The culture that is laid back and is sometimes beaten to submission by the popular culture already prevalent in Nigeria. From her music to her hair to her clothes and the way she carries herself speaks volumes about how deep she is and how she wants us to see her.

All and all, I'd say i'm beginning to LOVE this girl and this her song HEARTBEAT is the most priceless piece in her collection to me. Just LISTEN and you'd SEE with the MUSICAL EYE in YOU the HEARTBEAT she is talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment